Search results can vary considerably from town to town, often dominated by local businesses and interests. Searching for a business type or professional will most often give rise to different search results, in some cases there is not a single URL on the first page of the SERPs that is shared between locations.
For example, the search term: dog walking
Results for that query will produce local independent dog walking businesses for each search location.
The Chrome Extension below, allows multiple location search and displays the rank positions for each location.
A screenshot of the Chrome Extension is below:
To use the extension once installed:
1. Go to Google.co.uk
2. Enter a search term
3. Start the Search Intent Tool
4. The status should read: “Step 1: Please change location in browser”
5. Follow the instructions by returning to Google.co.uk and using the ‘Search Tools’ menu, enter any location that is different from the current location shown. Changing the location in Google will initialise the extension and change the status shown to read ‘Ready to Search’.
6. The Chrome Extension should have updated automatically to reflect the current search term too:
7. At this stage, you can change the default search locations to places you wish to search. When edited, press the button beneath and results will be displayed beneath as they are gathered.
8. Once all the results are loaded, the URLs are shown alongside their position in the SERPs for each location. Depending upon the search term, the results can vary dramatically, the following screenshot shows major differences in SERPs for the term ‘dog walking’. Not all positions are visible in the image below.
Download the extension and give it a try for your preferred locations.
You can keep changing the locations to search again, adding to the results shown each time.
Let me know what you think of it !